MrSinatra wrote:
> i mentioned the tivo to answer the transcoding question.
>
> currently transcoding is done in software yes?  you could do mpeg video
> in software too, but its done in chips now.

AFAIK (they don't sell Tivo's here) there's a crucial difference. The
Tivo only plays its own recordings and it's not very hard to put in
specialized hardware chips for one video format. The SB/SC combo is
expected to support a huge range of codecs. In that scenario it makes
sense to use software decoding on the player for the most popular
formats and transcoding on the server for the rest. Also, it's hard to
predict what new formats will gain popularity. You wouldn't want your
player to become obsolete (well, in fact, some companies would to force
you to buy new hardware) so it makes perfect sense to use transcoding in
software.

When I bought my SliMP3 the FLAC format did not exist, but now it
happily plays (transcoded) FLAC files for me.

Regards,
Peter