On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 02:49:35 -0700, "ModelCitizen"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Hello,
> In my quest for true whole-house audio it's struck me that I need a
> Windows-based low footprint player, integrated with SlimCenter, that
> does not show on my PC (is this headless?). I only need to control it
> via the SlimCenter web interface and the jive controller.

If you want a windows based PC, I'd control it over VNC or Remote
Desktop if I were you.

> Softsqueeze appears no good (large java footprint) and no headless
> capability.

Just keep it logged in and keep SoftSqueeze running. It can (also) be
controlled with the Controller and the web interface (of course). How
much does a megabyte of RAM cost these days? That's enough to run
Softsqueeze and Squeezecenter. There's no reason a headless (no display)
box couldn't run a virtual display.

> Squeezeslave seems to be almost there but the latest version on
> Sourceforge (0.7.4.2:
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=105169) is not
> integrated with SlimServer, opens up a dos box when run and does not
> run as a windows service (so requires me to be logged on at the PC for
> it to run).
>
> If I could work out how to run Squeezeslave as a Windows Service and
> this meant that the dos box did not open it would be fine.
>
> Then all it needs to is to be seemlessly integrated into SlimCenter
> 7.0!  :-)

All players (including SoftSqueeze and squeezeslave) are seemlessly
integrated in SC7.0 and can be conveniently controlled with the
controller.

Personally, I'd use something like Ubuntu for such an application. It's
free, Squeezecenter runs better on it and it needs less resources.

Regards,
Peter