ptrainer;285564 Wrote:
> I currently own a Squeezebox Controller and five SB players. I would
> like to add an additional SBC to use downstairs so I can leave my
> current one upstairs. However I've been reading about Pippin's iPeng
> software for the new iPods and iPhones and am very curious since when I
> played around with them at the Apple store, I found the ergonomics to be
> very elegant in function. Playing music on the iPod Touch was certainly
> faster and easier to me than using the SBC's current interface.
>
> I am considering getting an iPod instead of that second SBC. This is my
> question: Could I get some feedback, pros/cons, thoughts, etcetera about
> iPeng versus the SBC from people out there who own and use both? This
> would be much appreciated.

Right now iPeng is a web skin, so it will be slower in response than
the SBC although it's consideraly faster than the default web skin. A
native app will not be available (at least from me ;-) before Apple
releases the iPhone / iTouch firmware for 3rd party apps which is
currently targeted for June.

In terms of functionality iPeng IMHO today features almost as much as
SBC. If you want to get an impression, have a look at
penguinlovesmusic.com, there's a lot of pictures there (in the manual
and the photo album). The UI is pretty much modeled after the iPod app
on the iTouch but has more functionality.

One thing that unfortunately does NOT work yet is streaming to the
iPhone/iTouch, this is due to limitations in SquueezeCenter AND iPhone.

There's a lot of discussion around iPeng in the 3rd party hardware
section of this forum.

--
pippin

---