If you have metallic items in your walls/floors this can severely limit
distances for Wifi.  We had to span a distance of only about 20' for
one connection, yet had to go to directional antennas on both ends to
get 100% reliable connections (heat pump pipe and electrical wiring
issues).

My Duet units are now about 50' from the access point (through floor
and walls), but function reliably.  Have a Dlink "n" unit with 3
external "rubber duck" antennas, one of which has been replaced with a
14dB directional antenna pointed in the general direction of the Duet
units.  With a basic "g" unit with a single antenna, I doubt that we
would be able to get consistent connections.

Your wireless router has two external antennas?  First, try
re-orienting them (along with the unit itself to make major changes).
If you still cannot get enough signal, you may need to get a
directional antenna (I assume the antennas unscrew from the Linksys
unit).

As other people suggested, you can also try changing the router/access
point channel (use its web interface, and try 1, 6, 11), though unless
you have really close neighbors running wifi, this is unlikely to help.

--
ncarver