MrSinatra;289312 Wrote:
> i should also add to that...
>
> follow me here for a second...
>
> we established that TPE2 is NOT being classified as ALBUMARTIST by SC7.
> i think thats a problem.
>
> HOWEVER
>
> you seem to be saying TPE2 is called "BAND" by SC7.
>
> well, if it is, in that case, SC7 is NOT sorting by BAND either.
>
> if TPE2 is "BAND" then it isn't sorting by BAND, its sorting by
> ALBUMARTIST which is value that (you contend and i agree) is blank for
> me in SC7s internal tags.
>
> this is odd, b/c on the music library settings page, it says:
>
> "List Albums by Band"
>
> as one of the choices.
>
> it goes on to say this in the info box:
>
> "Albums that contain songs that are tagged with a band may be listed
> under that band name or with the other artists for that album. The band
> tag is also known as TPE2 and may appear as the "album artist" in some
> software."
>
> ...so this means one of two things:
>
> 1. that the option is NOT meant to sort your music at all, but rather
> just change the method (or data) it uses to show you who a given album
> is by
>
> OR
>
> 2. that the option is meant to sort AND change the method (or data) it
> uses to show you who a given album is by.
>
> ***
>
> personally, i think its supposed to be #2, but i'm not slim so i can't
> say.  but if it is number 2, then the sorting part is broken for TPE2
> users.
>
> if on the other hand its #1, then just how am i supposed to get SC7 to
> sort my albums properly (given that they are properly tagged)?

Sinatra,

I fully agree with you here, and no matter how hard somebody might try
to justify or rationalize, this functionality is broken. I used to have
BAND tag (on flac files), that didn't behave according to wiki/help
docs. Then I converted them all to ALBUMARTIST and they behave
differently, but still not fully rationally. So there is a first issue
BAND is not the same as ALBUMARTIST, contrary to documentation.

Then, BAND is not properly sorted. ALBUMARTIST is, but ALBUMARTIST
introduces silly notion of 'track artist'. That is ARTIST on the track
that includes ALBUMARTIST becomes something called Track Artist. Track
artist isn't recognized as ARTIST when it comes to  matching other
works. That means, for example that you can have Diana Krall as a guest
(ARTIST) on the album where Ray Charles is ALBUMARTIST. If I'm listening
to that track, and try to follow the artist (Diana Krall) I can't get
anywhere, even though I have 6 other albums where Diana Krall is an
ARTIST. I have to enforce COMPILATION to 0 in order to achieve that.
... a lot more on COMPILATION tag tp come.

--
slimkid

The sound stage will open up, bass will tighten and the imaging will
improve. DVD performance will also increase substantially.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iAj2aPdQnk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvMNuuFSvN0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDRhRv4q_SI
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nlrpe8Ig5m8