MrSinatra;289310 Wrote:

> the problem is that if i know that 'band' and 'album artist' are
> defacto interchangeable in most programs, and are defacto considered
> TPE2 in most programs, then i am not likely to guess SC7 would be
> different or treat them as one but not the other.

"Most programs"?

I am not sure that is correct.

Those who use Picard, for example, get (usually) correct ALBUMARTIST.
(It does tend to break down on Classical, where TPE2 would be
Orchestra.)  My usual ripper, abcde, doesn't set the tag at all.  Nor
does a typical usage of EAC.

> therein lies my most obvious and contentious problem.  one that would
> seem to affect any and all mp3 users.

I have mp3's.  It doesn't affect me.  Therefore "any and all mp3 users"
is incorrect.  Please do not overstate.

> very cool, but even if i could do anything for myself personally with
> this info, (beyond relaying it in a bug report), it doesn't help all
> the other mp3 users who use the TPE2 tag.

It helps me.  I use TPE2 sometimes, but not for ALBUMARTIST.

As for Winamp:

(current version changelog):
* Improved: [pmp_usb] Added AlbumArtist support to Naming Convention

v5.51 shows:
* Improved: [in_mp3] Support for reading ALBUM ARTIST field if TPE2 not
present

Perhaps you should upgrade.

--
snarlydwarf