JJZolx;299927 Wrote:
> IMO, some type of player management needs to become a part of the main
> server settings rather than implemented as a plugin.
> Some enhancement requests have been filed and some interest expressed
> from the powers that be, but obviously Logitech's developer resources
> are spread pretty thin...

OK, well, why doncha start writing patches to the server core?

> This isn't the type of thing that is handled well by a third party
> plugin, with users needing to rely on plugin updates as new versions of
> the server come out. It needs to always work. This feature also needs to
> deal with new versions of hardware players as they come out, with new
> settings and new defaults for each one, so relying on a plugin
> developer to keep up would be a poor choice.

I'm not aware of any technical reason this couldn't be done in a
plugin. As for whether the plugin is Official or Third Party, well, I
don't much care. I don't think Logitech will adopt this as an Official
plugin or set of features unless they perceive a high demand -- after
all, including this with the official release means they'd need to
invest $$$ testing and supporting it. New hardware causing trouble? I
think you're getting a little pessimistic, even by your standards. ;-)

--
peterw

http://www.tux.org/~peterw/
free plugins: http://www.tux.org/~peterw/#slim
AllQuiet BlankSaver FuzzyTime PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket
SaverSwitcher SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock