I know that it's venting for the most part but I think the main point is
quite valid. I too am a loyal customer with three boxes and thousands of
hours of musical enjoyment under my belt due to the revolutionary
squeezeserver.

however, I can't recommend this product to any of my 'normal' friends-
i.e.- friends who don't have a very solid grasp of computers and who
also have a near obession to tweaking server software and/or music
tags. I live in san francisco and several of my friends are IT
professionals and I don't think i would recommend the product to those
folks either. maybe that's mainly due to the fact that most of my
friends have kids and there's just not enough time in the day for such
a trivial activity as tweaking a music server. for myself, I find it
endlessly challenging so I actually enjoy the time spent improving my
squeezecenter. But it's just not a mass market product...yet. I think
in time it will be but that time has not come.

oh, and by the way-the spinning disk icon in the default skin could
possibly be the dumbest improvement ever made with the server software.

i would argue that efforts should be made to streamline the server
software as much as possible. less add ons-not more. sometimes that
pesky squeezecenter is hogging 80-90% of my computer's brain power when
executing certain commands. that to me does not seem like a good thing.

--
exile