EnochLight wrote:
> If most of your friends that bought it don't use it as a phone, then
> you should question their judgment to purchase a device which generally
> requires a 2 year cellular phone company contract to use it to its full
> capacity.  They should have bought an iPod Touch instead!

No, they wanted an iPhone, because its cool. And they can justify its
coolness because its an OK phone. Like nearly all other cell phones, the
market is about cool features, not phone stuff like clarity of voice,
picking up the whole conversation, etc.

I'm not at all clear what you are arguing about. Its a cool device that
can work as a cell phone.

It costs $2000 and lots of folks gladly pay that. There are folks
standing in line in NYC right now, and it won't be for sale for another
week.

I am a bit taken back by the spin that Apple lowered the price on the
new 3G version. Sure they lowered the selling price, but AT&T raised the
contract cost, so over the two years that you must sign up for, the cost
hasn't changed. The new AT&T "unlimited" plan is amazingly expensive.

If you want an iPhone, and can accidentally use it to control your
SqueezeBoxen, Transporters, etc. then by all means go for it.

IMHO, a 30 year old Western Electric phone is a much better phone than
any cell phone.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/