PĂ©tur wrote:
> Are the hardware internals of the SB also 'open'?

Some. I haven't looked in detail, but I remember: The DSP chip is
programmed and the vendor of the DSP chip does not release their support
libraries. While Sean has said he was willing to open the code Slim
wrote, it needs a $10,000 development station, and assorted other stuff,
and no one in the open source world is likely to be willing to spend
that kind of money to change the EQ curve.

Sean has posted internal photos of the boards going back to early times,
and has openly discussed proposed hacks/improvements.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/