CatBus;327100 Wrote:
> Okay.
>
> http://www.hushtechnologies.net/
>
> Admittedly I have a slightly older Core2Duo B3 myself but if their
> quad-core design (B4 model) is remotely similar--and all the specs
> indicate it is--then it doesn't even have a fan in the power supply.
> And I still have mine running in a closet in a room across the house,
> because of the very slight whisper-hum of the 2.5" HDD.
>
> Sure there's a price premium.  But to be perfectly honest you don't
> even need a Core2Duo to run a media server, let alone a quad-core, so
> we're already talking about spending more than you technically need to.

Heck I have a Phenom 9500 running virtually silent if you disable the
harddrives.  Hard drives are much harder to isolate noise from.  The
machine is not fanless, however I am using 2 of these fans
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0266398

And a sychte mini-ninja cooler using 1 of the above fans in place of
the stock.  I even have the fans running at full tilt and you can not
hear them.

Problem with running any machine completely fanless is other parts of
the system expect to have some airflow.  Things like the voltage
regulators expect to get a little bit of air movement off of the cpu
cooler.  A motherboard with passive cooling on the northbridge expects
some air movement, in fact some makers even say in the manual if you
water cool the machine you need to put a fan on certain parts.

The quad machine I have above is in my living room, it is my HTPC.
Only sounds I can hear are the fan whirl of the harddrive which can
only be heard if you listen for it when everything else is silent.

--
m1abrams