This also makes me think of my old volunteer bicycle repair club. We
salvaged abandoned bikes and sold them for $50 or $100, just to pay
for parts and to increase the chance we were giving the bike to a good
owner. We also offered free repair help.

Local bike shops had mixed feelings. We may have been targeting a
different audience that would eventually start paying for commercial
services. We may also have been volunteering to help people for free
that would otherwise have paid a professional bike mechanic.