Hi all,

I'm not a SWC instructor but will be applying for the the group training
soon. I share this concern. Here are a few things I've found helpful that
hopefully carry over from my different teaching experience:

   1. offering exercises that can be completed at various levels ("Write a
   function that takes a function as an argument" is open ended enough that
   some students do cool creative things with it, some with prior experience
   implement map or reduce, and some type along with me on the projector as we
   write a function that calls the passed in function twice) (seconding Bill
   Mills on this)
   2. making detours for the more advanced folks instead of the beginners.
   The mental gymnastics of managing a stack of goals is distracting, so I try
   to put that burden on the experienced folks. Explicitly stating that
   something is outside the scope of the lesson and then answering an advanced
   question or sharing some trivia: in a git seminar experienced users were
   happy to go through first commit exercises if I was able to teach them a
   new flag that made committing nicer). Hopefully this keeps more advanced
   students engaged without frustrating more beginner ones, because this
   information is outside the scope of the lesson. (unfortunately it's still
   distracting)
   3. under-advertising how much material I hope to cover so people aren't
   disappointed we didn't get to something if the class moves slowly
   4. when asking students to help each other, pushing them over the edge
   by assigning pairs or calling out students that can help that can get
   students over the hump more quickly. I find students' self-reports of their
   abilities inaccurate and problematically skewed so I tend toward "everyone
   talk about this with your partner" vs "if you know this explain it to your
   neighbor."
   5. seeding the class with individuals with whom I have prior experience
   and of whom I have good mental models: since I know their prior experience,
   I can rely on them to teach background to other and use them as precise
   canaries of understanding.

Some techniques that I imagine aren't applicable in the SWC setting that I
ought to write a blog post about instead, based on working at a 3-month
programming retreat:

   1. repeatedly *invite people to leave the workshop* at specific breaks
   if they feel like they've gotten enough or aren't getting much out of the
   session. I announce that I'll run more targeted workshops in a few hours or
   the next day, run the same workshop again in a week, or work one on one
   later. It takes quite a cultural shift to make this ok.
   2. be demanding of prerequisites in the official announcement, then
   personally invite people that tend to underestimate their abilities
   3. keep class sizes small (less than 12), and if necessary to decrease
   class size require prep work (with plenty of time and office hours
   available to help people complete it). With a larger class size than this,
   I find I can't react much to people being left behind except to try to do a
   better job matching the audience and material the next time I teach the
   class.
   4. invite students to work on something else if we're at an explicit
   waiting point, "while I [and the TAs] help everyone get a text editor
   invokable from the command line, start playing with HTML as described on
   this page" and treat these as breaks
   5. provide the blog post / conference talk / video lecture version of
   the same information, and when students don't get something play the
   session off as an introduction, with more information available later for
   self-study
   6. Of the six ways to order 3 levels of workshops, I like intermediate,
   then beginner, then advanced. This way intermediates can drop down, and
   students in intermediate and beginner sessions can also attend the advanced
   workshop.
   7. have students with more questions stay after (coming early relies on
   students estimating their abilities before they've have trouble instead of
   assessing whether they actually had trouble)
   8. iterating on curriculum to make it have a bare minimum of
   dependencies - choosing specially crafted examples that focus particularly
   on a single skill without inviting too many questions about underlying
   topics to avoid rabbit hole explanations
   9. being enthusiastic and welcoming about questions which reveal a
   student's lack of background or misunderstanding and being concise and
   informative enough in answering them that advanced students learn something
   (it's an aspirational goal)

Thomas Ballinger