Hi,

> I'm usually the first point of contact for general public inquiries
> about SWC & DC and don't think I've seen anything like this.

I should had make clear that what I described happend on a cold-call
scenario when you send a email to someone that could be interested in
Data or Software Carpentry and probably will hear about us for the first
time on that email. Maybe my cold-call had the problem of someone entering
the email exchange in the middle of it but the email has clear signs
of that person trying to understand Data Carpentry based on the website
(the email has more references to Data Carpentry than Software Carpentry).

Can the misconception be because of the language? Yes. But I don't think
this is the case.

> If this is just one person I don't want to put too much effort into fixing
> things - we will always have a random person here or there that is
> confused.

I think that I saw this misconception with one or more people in half of
the workshops that I taught. The number isn't high but I don't think it
is random.

> I think we're pretty clear that our lessons include R, Python, Shell,
> Git, etc. If anyone else has seen a pattern of misconceptions about
> what SWC or DC is please let us know so we can think about how we may
> need to adjust our message.

If you look on Data's and Software Carpentry's homepage you will not
find any reference to R, Python, Shell, Git, etc. You need to visit
Lessons to discovery that our lessons include R, Python, Git, etc.
Also you need to read very careful the page to discover the tools that
we cover on the workshops.

Cheers,
Raniere