I agree that command line SQL is the way to go, and I have seen it taught
that way successfully. Similarly, I think we could emphasize the SQL APIs
provided by the languages we teach. For instance, R's `dbplyr` package
(part of the tidyverse) integrates wonderfully into the general tidyverse
ecosystem, and requires very little additional cognitive overhead to grasp
once the basic dplyr, etc. commands have been taught. I'm sure there are
similar mature interfaces for Python.

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 4:14 AM, Mario Antonioletti <
m.antoniole...@epcc.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>    I have previously taught the SQL lesson successfully, I thought, by
> just using the command line. I feel there is an incongruity here - why
> should SQL get special treatment when we are so purist about git? there are
> lots of good git clients out there but we insist that people do it on the
> command line yet for SQL it is different?
>
> The reason why I went with the command line was the fact that lots of
> people use ie (now edge) or chrome - why should we expect people to install
> firefox if they want to learn SQL? Using the command line is also more
> consistent with the other lessons: bash, git, ...
>
> Mario
>

> On Tue, 14 Nov 2017, François Michonneau wrote:
>
> Hi Amy,
>>   That's a good point. It's going to be interesting to monitor what's
>> going to happen in the next
>> few weeks. It looks like many addons (including some very popular
>> commercial ones) are incompatible
>> with this new version of firefox. I assume that the developers of these
>> addons are going to catch
>> up and make them compatible. However, it's not clear if it's also going
>> to be the case for SQLite
>> manager and this thread doesn't seem too
>> promising: https://github.com/lazierthanthou/sqlite-manager/issues/75
>>
>>   It might be a good idea to explore alternatives. I saw that plotly
>> recently released a
>> cross-platform database interface named Falcon: https://plot.ly/databa
>> se-connectors/ (Linux version
>> available from: https://github.com/plotly/falcon-sql-client/releases/
>> latest). sqlitebrowser
>> (https://github.com/sqlitebrowser/sqlitebrowser) is actively maintained
>> and also cross-platform.
>>
>>   cheers,
>>   -- François
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 11:46 AM, Amy E. Hodge <amyho...@stanford.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>       I just downloaded the new Firefox Quantum and discovered that
>> SQLite Manager no longer
>>       works – it’s automatically disabled and only gives me the option to
>> Remove it.
>>

>>       Hopefully the older version we still be available for a while, but
>> we may need to make
>>       a note in the lesson materials about the version people need to use
>> for the SQL
>>       lessons. Right now I’m seeing that they haven’t made it easy to
>> access downloads for
>>       older versions. I’m not finding it.
>>

>>       ~ Amy
>>

>>       Amy E. Hodge, PhD
>>       Science Data Librarian
>>
>>       amyho...@stanford.edu
>>
>>       650.556.5194
>>
>>       [IMAGE] orcid.org/0000-0002-5902-3077
>>

>> Data Management Services
>> Branner Earth Sciences Library, 212 Mitchell
>> 397 Panama Mall; MC 2211
>> Stanford University
>> Stanford, CA 94305
>>

>> From: Firefox <mozi...@e.mozilla.org>
> [...]