Alan Frayer wrote:

> Daniel, you make a grevious error yourself by assuming security
> violations only occur online.

1) I did not say that.

2) The advice is given by a recognized security expert, not just me.

> The fact is that most security violations do occur when an "insider"
> has obtained physical access to the system involved.

And I did make a special mention for companies. I said that if you are in
a company, the password should be some place safe and that a sticky note,
or a drawer wasn't it.

Disgruntled employees are not likely to break into your home to steal your
password.

> If the written down password is secure, then it's okay to write down. If
> you cannot keep others from viewing your written password, you shouldn't
> write it down... period!

But keeping a paper version of the password fairly safe is quite easy.
Hide it at home. Don't confuse "write it down" with "put it on a sticky
note on your monitor".

People:

  * WRITE DOWN YOUR PASSWORDS.
  * Put the password some place safe enough for your situation.

Cheers,
--
Daniel Carrera          | Rigorous reasoning from inapplicable
Join OOoAuthors today!  | assumptions yields the world's most