It depends on what warning or error message the firewall is reporting.

It is a misunderstanding in that there is a world of difference between monitoring all web activity and reporting a crash.

I haven't seen OOo crash (have been using 1.1.4 for OS X heavily), so I can't say what goes on. However, if there isn't already a dialog, then the crash could spawn a dialog asking the user if it is ok to report the bug -- before trying to open any ports.

There are at least two problems. One is the misinterpretation of the bug report. Another is the spread of misinformation/urban legend. Maybe a third is the behavior of the crash report.
-Lars
Lars Nooden ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Software patents harm all Net-based business, write your MEP:
http://wwwdb.europarl.eu.int/ep6/owa/p_meps2.repartition?ilg=EN