Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Mathias Bauer wrote:

>> If you really had taken some time and understood how the OOo packages
>> work you wouldn't write such nonsense. Sorry, but you don't know what
>> you are talking about.
>
> For example, consider a possible add-on is a clipart package created
> from the Open Clip Art Library (http://openclipart.org), which has a
> release every month.
> How do you suggest this package to be installed and updated: using OOo
> package management or using the system one?
> (yes, this question is a trap, only one response is correct, the other
> is completely wrong)

I would construct the case the other way around. Do you really want that
*everything* on your system must be installed through the same
installer/packager? Every script, every macro, every configuration file?

If yes: then I understand your goal; but I doubt that this is what
people want and what you will achieve.

If no: then why should OOo macros become treated that way?

To come back to the topic:
I'm not against integrating OOo packages into system installers. But
IMHO the tooling should be provided by the guys knowing the system. If
anybody out there is willing to work on that he will surely find open
ears from us and some help too. But he should have an open mind also.
Just complaining about the OOo packages (without even knowing them)
without constructive suggestions is a waste of time.

We for ourselves can't work on that. We know how much work it was to
create the native installers for OOo for all the platforms we want to
support. And you can't expect macro developers to do the same for the
deployment of a few simple lines of Basic code.

I got a lot of usefuls scripts and macros for various programs (like
f.e. for CD burning with the great cdrtools) from the Internet and I was
very thankful for them. I wouldn't have got them if the providers of
those tools had to package them upfront and provide packages for all the
popular distros. Maybe they would have done it if it neede just a simple
script or mouseclick to create them, but of course I don't know.

Best regards,
Mathias

Please reply to the list only, [EMAIL PROTECTED] is a spam sink.