On Lun 25 avril 2005 12:37, Mathias Bauer a écrit :
> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

>>> BTW: do you know the OOo Add-On installer at all and the way it works?
>>
>> Don't know and don't care.
>
> OK. You complain about something you don't know. You don't listen to
> arguments from others. You think you know everything better and so you
> don't need to learn and understand.
>
> And you want me to take you serious?

I think you misunderstood my point.

As a Linux user, I have the luxury of not having to worry about custom
installers because there is a system-wide standard. This a _big_ thing to
anyone who used to hunt for files on the web using all the various tools
windows app writers provide. Even if the OO.o was marginally better in the
OO.o context it _still_ would not be worth my time to learn to use it,
because this is time I should not have to waste at all.

Software installation has the same network effects as gfx or print config
for example. There was a time when every single app did its own
gfx/config. These times have ended and anyone who'd proposed today to
reinstall say a print driver per office app would be laughed out of the
room (even if his print driver system was slightly better than the system
one). The same thing is true today for software installation under linux.

And I might add you seriously overestimate the willingness of users to
return to the bad old days of separate installers once they've learnt the
benefits of a centralised system. On linux systems, the burden of figuring
out how to install software is put on the people that provide the software
packages, not on the (much more numerous) users.

--
Nicolas Mailhot