On Mer 27 avril 2005 9:02, Laurent Godard a écrit :
 needs

> And as it has already been said (mathias ?) if it is a corporate policy
> not to install extra addons, let admins do their job and remove the menu
> entry. The massive deployement of UNO packages is not an issue.

Corporate policy is never to forbid addons installation.
Corporate policy is usually to limit support/helpdesk costs.
Random user installations that generate support tickets are a no-go.
Well-packaged files that can be deployed corporation-wide easily using the
common software update infrastructure (ie in the Linux case native
packages) are something else entirely.

It's a common developper misconception to think corporate lock-ins stem
from a desire to absolutely limit what users can do, so efforts must be
focused on working around the locks.

Corporate locks-ins stem from developpers not making their job releasing
easy to deploy bugfree software.

The problems is not "how can I help users work around software
installation restrictions" but "how can I help IT departments deploy my
software corporation-wide"

You'll notice in the case of home computers the argument against
multiplying installations techs is as valid as in the corp case - in both
situations it increases maintenance costs.

--
Nicolas Mailhot