Hi Johan,

Johan Vromans wrote:
Ken Foskey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

This whole argument is now just academic. Caolan has provide a GCJ
port that will allow, as I understand it, all features to run.
Therefore this is really a non-issue for beta 2.0.

I'm not sure that solves every perceived problem for OOo 2.0. I'm not sure offhand if everything needed is in the released gcc 4.0 at all. And most distros out there don't have the latest gcc/gcj yet.

But yes, for those who insist on not using a JRE from Sun (or IBM), this should provide a way to set up their machines so they can use the Java-based features.

Does that mean that 2.0 will be shipped as a standalone binary, not
requiring anything but the more or less standard libraries?

It is shipped that way even now.

The binaries that are shipped don't *require* anything but 'more standard' libraries. Some (optional) features require Java or other pieces of system infrastructure (e.g. Gnome or Accessibility Tools). Java comes in the form of libraries that are still 'standard' in many ways. Arguably you may consider them to be 'less standard' on any given platform.

But OOo 2.0 will not bundle the gcj runtime, if that is what you mean. It certainly will not include its own private copy of gcj to become 'standalone'.

Ciao, Joerg

--
Joerg Barfurth              Sun Microsystems - Desktop - Hamburg
Software Engineer                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
OpenOffice.org Configuration          http://util.openoffice.org