At 05/30/05 11:21, you wrote:
I read this patent and I think it covers every conceivable method of communication between computers done by applications, connected by any means. If this patent is enfoceable, Microsoft would own the methods of communicating on any form of communication means applications could communicate with each other. Claim 1 defines this.

The USPTO does not enforce patents and patents are worthless until they stand up to a challenge in court.

This patent looks to be largely unenforceable. Who are they going to take to court? Everybody on the internet or a network who is running applications that communicate with each other?

That's exactly what the music industry is doing with music file sharers--no matter how small the individuals may be. It's expensive in the beginning, but if it protects their investment--however unfair that may seem--it's a cost-effective move. MS won't be far behind, except that I doubt that the patent is enforceable: even though a patent office granted it, it is too broad, and so the courts are very likely to toss it on challenge, or on an MS enforcement attempt.

Yes, the USPTO has really show its intelligence on this one.

Alex Janssen

Graham Lauder wrote:

Approved!  Unbelievable!

http://www.builderau.com.au/program/work/0,39024650,39190121,00.htm