M. Fioretti wrote:

Now the basic concept of rewarding a person for disclosing their
idea to the world instead of keeping it a secret is good (patent).

That is neither the intention, nor the effect of patents.

As far as I know, it indeed *is*. I (government):

1) make sure that everybody can learn all the details of new
   technologies by *forcing* inventors to disclose what they did.
2) keep inventors motivated to keep inventing while giving away by
   granting them a temporary monopoly.

I'm pretty sure that the intention was (2), not (1).

No. Without patents people would have invented and sold anyway, just
keeping the secret on how they did stuff.

That logic only applies for inventions that don't lend themselves to reverse engineering. I doubt that the majority of inventions fall into that category.

Cheers,
Daniel.