Mathias Bauer wrote:
If the file name was good enough to identify the
document in the file browser, it should be good enough for the caption
bar also (at the end the caption bar is just a means for identifying the
document).

But the Latin name in the file browser is *not* good enough- it is just necessary evil to make sure that when I email the document or post it on the web, the file name does not become total junk or worse- can't be opened at all (yes, that had happened to me with a a file which had a Hebrew filename that I emailed someone, and somewhere along the way some server or other converted the filename to something which had invalid characters in it).

File systems have limitations that OOo is free of. Why restrict the title to the limitations of the systems which are used by the people I send my documents to? I have to use a bad compromise for the filename- please don't force it on the file title as well.

--
Shoshannah Forbes
http://www.xslf.com