Laurent Godard wrote.

> IMHO, macros (developepd in  StarBasic, python, beanshell,
> whateverlanguage) do not deal with openDocument at all
> It only deals with the layer the software (OOo) that render an
> OpenDocument gives the script through its API. It is implementation
> specific
>
> OpenDocment is /only/ the description of the xml files (eg
> content.xml), and not a specification of the api of the
> implementation

The only answer I have to this is the same I gave to the KOffice
developers when they made the very same remark a few days ago:

1) technically, you are 100% right, and I even agree, but

2) after years of advertising what is now OpenDocument as THE
   one, application-independent, truly open, durable solution
   etc... that frees your data from lock-in to any single SW
   provider (including "free as in freedom" ones)...

   ...end users are going to be mightily pissed when they start
   exchanging .odt files from/to OO.o and KOffice or whatever else
   and they don't always work in the same way. See the example I
   made of training material, possibly distributed via CD-Rom.
   Oh, and remember that "end users" include all those governments
   which, with great effort, are being carried to the
   notion of "perpetually available data, regardless of the
   application: this is what OpenDocument gives you". This loses
   a *lot* of relevance if there is no defined path to standardize
   macros and spreadsheet formulas, and the will to follow it.

3) Therefore, the way I see it, OO.o, KOffice and whoever else
   will go OpenDocument publicly (which *is* a wonderful thing)
   have *already* committed to standardize those things too.
   They just haven't realized it yet, but the sooner the better.
   For PR, at least.

Ciao,
Marco F.