Richard Rowe wrote:

biologist

write scientific papers and reports, often need to access material in older file formats.

I think that providing a range of text file converters would be a big plus for Open Office Writer.

MS tends to abandon Word formats on about a 5 year cycle, and loading the appropriate converter 'from disk' can be an inconvenience in a centralised situation where end users probablby don't have the CDs to hand. OO's file converters are good (and I frequently need them to open MS Word files submitted by students - files that don't open in MS Word).

Upside: works transparently, users happy
Downside: bloat?

Richard

You may want to consider purchasing Sun's StarOffice 8. It is basically OpenOffice.org but includes things that can't be included in OOo because of licensing restrictions, etc. Among them are a wide range of file filters. It will run you about $79 list (cheaper on Amazon).

--

Rod