Daniel,

Jeff Causey wrote:
All that is true and sways the technical folks and power users, but I rather suspect for your typical business person (who is the target of Cor's project), you probably lost them after "An zip compressed XML file..."

I don't expect a typical business person to understand the technical details. But it is still true that OpenDocument files are much more reliable and that's something most business people care about.

If "higher reliability" can be articulated in terms of a sentence/bullet point, you might have something useful to add to the list.

Sigh... the *first* email I wrote had a single, short bullet point. I only added a technical explanation when someone asked me for one.
Yes, your first email indicated "Higher reliability. You're less likely to lose a document." My issue is you can _say_ more reliable all day long, but you need to be able to back it up. Your reply was to go into a detailed explanation of the structure of the file formats and the benefits of XML. The problem I am trying to anticipate is the business person who responds, "Doesn't MSO use XML files now? What about their new Office XML formats?"

As I said, everything you noted is accurate, I just don't see it resonating. I did find this though:

   Key Benefits and Functionality

.

*Compact file format.* Documents are automatically compressed---up to 75 percent smaller in some cases.

.

*Improved damaged file recovery.* Modular data storage enables files to be opened even if a component within the file is damaged---a chart or table, for example.

.

*Safer documents.* Embedded code---for example, OLE objects or Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications code---is stored in a separate section within the file, so it can be easily identified for special processing. IT Administrators can block the documents that contain unwanted macros or controls, making documents safer for users when they are opened.

.

*Easier integration.* Developers have direct access to specific contents within the file, like charts, comments, and document metadata.

.

*Transparency and improved information security.* Documents can be shared confidentially because personally identifiable information and business sensitive information---user names, comments, tracked changes, file paths---can be easily identified and removed.

Unfortunately, as you may have guessed, this comes from Microsoft and can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/developers/fileoverview.mspx

So even if Cor is able to clean up what has been discussed as to the benefits of using an XML based file schema versus the proprietary .doc or .xls or .ppt formats, eventually it is still going to be compared to the above list from MS and I suspect the person reading them will see no difference because the benefits of an XML schema are the same.

MSO master documents get corrupted very easily. They break easily. OOo's don't as much.
Do you have any data to back up your opinion that MSO master documents get corrupted or break easily? I did find the statement you referenced about "a master document can only be in two states..." here (http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/WhyMasterDocsCorrupt.htm). And yes, I understand that I am probably in the minority in questioning the common knowledge of the flakiness of MS'es master documents. It just sounds like a "rah, rah - we're better" type statement that could get one into trouble if presented to the wrong audience.

Page styles matter. Does MSO have a Navigator and Stylist? Does it use styles natively? (styles are so central to OOo you cannot avoid using them - even when you think you're not using styles, OOo is making styles dynamically for you)
IIRC, MSO does not have the equivalent of the Navigator. But then, I don't use it in OO either. As for the Stylist, I think the equivalent would be the task pane showing styles in MS Word. Yes, MSO uses styles natively - just few people switch away from the default. As I explained elsewhere in this thread, I do think OO does a better job at being overt in trying to make you understand you are using styles and to make better use of them. Likewise, I think OO's page styles is something definitely better than MSO.

e.g. There is a "Window" menu that lists all your OOo windows regardless of whether they are a WP, spread sheet, etc.
I'm sorry Daniel, but you've lost me. Usually in my work I'm pasting tables or charts from the spreadsheet to a document. I don't recall having trouble with either program with keeping track of which document I was in/going to/coming from, etc. Perhaps you are talking about something else though?

Ask Chad. Please don't quote Chad's list as if it were mine. That's rude.
My apologies Daniel - an oversight on my part amidst all the copying/pasting I was doing.

Cor (and everyone else), you might want to check out this article by Bruce Byfield:

http://software.newsforge.com/print.pl?sid=05/06/14/2137222

It covers much of the same ground this thread has been covering. But in some areas it goes into much more detail (e.g. with regard to styles, he notes the increased control Writer gives you over a variety of settings). Hopefully there will be something in there that is useful.

Jeff Causey