Ian Lynch wrote:
Like any disruptive technology, to start with most people won't but some
people will put up with any inconvenience for the lower cost. As the
technology improves more people will migrate (see Christensen et al for
the evidence in the past). In larger companies Google could provide a
cache on their LAN to get rid of any such connection problems.

I can see it as a disruptive technology. Today, most businesses wouldn't accept the risk of losing their internet connection. But some day internet connections will be solid and reliable (I hope!). So Google Office may start with customers for whom losing temporary access to their documents is just an inconvenience, and then move up the ladder as internet conectivity improves.

As for connection reliability, we can't work if there is a power failure
but we don't use this as a reason not to become networked for power.

But power fails a lot less often than the internet :) Hence, my comment above.

We could have lots of batteries or a generator just in case but most people
don't bother.

Places where power is critical do have lots of batteries and generators though (like hospitals). Back to the example above, the reliability of electricity supply has improved to the point where it's good enough for most people, but still not for all. The same will likely happen with internet connections.

Today, internet reliability is very poor. Even simple users like my mom would not find the risk acceptable. I think that, for now, OOo would likely out-compete Google Office as a primary office suite. This is not to say that a business might not buy a subscription to Google Office for some other reasons (e.g. backup).

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
     /\/`) http://opendocumentfellowship.org