On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 12:19 +0100, Michael Brauer wrote:
> Ian,
>
> Ian Lynch wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 09:52 +0100, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann - Software
> > Engineer - Sun Microsystems wrote:
> >
> >> This project will increase the visibility of OOo through the ODF and
> >> will strengthen the position of the OOo community as the experts in ODF.
> >> Thus, a big +1 from me.
> >
> > There is also a downside to this in that the real benefit of ODF over MS
> > OOXML is that its seen to be multi-application. If the image is
> > projected that ODF is effectively controlled by OpenOffice.org (or
> > worse, Sun) and not OASIS, it will significantly weaken that advantage.
>
> First of all, ODF is of cause controlled by OASIS, and the proposal does
> not aim to change that.

I know that. I'm not trying to say otherwise, just be aware that other
people will be likely to take what is said and twist it to their own
ends. I'm on your side, its just I get into regular political debates on
these subjects and I know the type of misinformation that gets passed
around. A lot of people still don't understand the d

>  What we are proposing is create a toolkit that
> allows the creation and processing of ODF documents, and that simplifies
> the use of ODF in other applications. This toolkit actually would just
> be another ODF implementation (or product, to be more precise, because
> the toolkit will share its code with OOo).
>
> > At the current state of play in the politics I'd play up the fact that
> > there is expertise in ODF in many applications and communities,
> > particularly when talking to governments.
>
> You are absolutely right. There is of cause expertise in ODF in many
> other applications and communities, too.

I was considering the politics, not the rationality ;-)

> > Ian
>
> Best regards
>
> Michael

Ian