And I personally believe they did this to visually differentiate Office 2007 from the increasing inroads being made by OOo.

Ian Lynch wrote:
I believe MS has patented the ribbon so OOo needs to implement similar
(better?) functionality in a different way. That is the real challenge,
do something better and sufficiently different not to get sued for
patent infringement - Ok, probably a law suit to defend such a patent
would fail since Apple's failed against Windows but the cost and risk
still has to be considered.

 for those people, or do some other major
innovation on the interface. The statu quo won't be good enough. Forcing a
new interface to everyone would be a bad idea, but forcing an old
interface is even worst.