Hi again

BTW: Your signature is missing a comma before the "and":

--> Computer software should be affordable, effective, and safe.
                                                      ^
http://www.drgrammar.org/faqs/#26 - see "2)"

Thanks very much for the correction. I wonder if the grammar checker that many people are asking for would have helped?

It's interesting - I was taught at school not to use a comma before the "and" in a list. Wikipedia raises an interesting issue: the rule you mention is definitely true with American English, but not necessarily so outside of America. It is an issue of much debate. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_comma

I'll leave the comma out for the moment (apologies to all Americans), and I'll keep my eyes open to see what the main usage is here in Australia.

--
Adrian Try
Try Another Angle