Peter Reaper wrote:
Michael Adams said on 08.04.2007 15:59:
<clip />
The quoted article does not say it is mandatory in any way anywhere.

Yes it does. Re-read it. It says: "*Separate* three or more items in a series with a comma." That sounds pretty mandatory to me.

http://www.drgrammar.org/faqs/#26

True, but that does not make the article correct .A was previously posted by Adrian Try "It's interesting - I was taught at school not to use a comma before the 'and' in a list." I was taught the same. Did you look at the article in Wikipedia?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_comma
The issue is not as clearcut as you claim it is.

<clip />
Also, I was merely pointing out an error in Adrian's signature (which appears in *every* post of his) in the hope that he would *welcome* the opportunity to correct a highly visible (but minor) error and that he might appreciate the opportunity to learn something about the language he is using. He even *thanked* me for it.
<clip />

He was very polite. Did you look at the Wikipedia article he cited ? The comma was not necessarily an error according to some other opinions.

--
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan

Website: http://larry-gusaas.com