Like all software approaching perfection (such as OpenOffice), we are
occasionally humbled by our less than perfect hardware.

Recently, I was reminded of this fact when my system went into an unrecoverable
hibernate on my laptop and my Openoffice writer document went crashing down.
Upon a reboot, I was not surprised to find my previously saved document to be
unopenable in almost anything save a hexeditor.  In addition, autorecovery did
not recover anything more useful than the hexeditor did.  Sadly however, I was
actually surprised to find that my document, even in a hexeditor, did not
contain all the information that was saved to the file long before the crash
actually took place.  It seems, the last half of my doc was overwritten with
null data, square-spaces and/or a whole hell of alot of "y" characters.

To make a long story short:  This problem would have been avoided if I had
actually enabled the very useful "Always Create Backup Copy" option.  Has there
been any discussion about enabling this option by default?  or how about a
"allow OpenOffice to use XXXX amount of harddrive space automatically for
backups"  I understand the double-the-space requirements and problems that this
option poses.  However, how about prompting the user at install time?  This
very useful feature (and one that doesnt exist in competing products) is FAR
too useful to find about "after you could have used it".  We will eventually
reach a stage in the very near future, where doubling even insanely large
documents will be of little concern.  Is this time now?

Thank you for reading - A very satisfied OO user BTW.

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.