Recently I lost several hours of work in a large document with a tight deadline when OOo crashed; I had forgotten to set timed backups when recently installing a new version of OOo. Probably once or twice a year I lose significant work (not necessarily in OOo) because of an OS (usually Windows) or application crash, not to mention unplanned power outages (in North America, albeit not in the US :-).

I would definitely be in favour of having backup-copy and timed-backup either turned on by default or asked about during installation. One of the nicest features of Emacs is its maintenance of numbered versions, with control over how many old versions to keep.

I'm not sure how a session-restore facility could help without having the backup features turned on.