On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 20:28:30 +0100
Chris Monahan wrote:

> Michael Adams:
> >"Actually HTML is excellent for writers. Writing is about the
> >content, not the formatting or pretty setting out. In fact the only
> >thing better for writing than HTML is TXT!
> ------------------------------
>
> plain text means that any structural elements other than linebreaks
> are represented by the 'way it looks' ie: a return to the formatting
> dilema. As someone who has tried to write a program that tries to
> guess the structural semantics from plain text I can suggest that
> either a decent full featured document format such as OpenDocument
> (used properly with the appropriate styles) or even better a sparse
> structural format such as DocBook XML or LaTek source is the format
>
> HTML is an interchange format designed to be sloppy and imperfect so
> as to reflect the tragedies of communicating accross the internet,
> authoring or storing documents in it is IMHO asking for trouble.

And IIUC DocBook & LaTeX have converters to produce HTML output anyway
from the resultant files.

"Uncle Cosmo, why do they call this a word processor?"
"It's simple, Skyler. You've seen what food processors do to food,
right?"
 - Jeff MacNelly in "Shoe"

--
Michael
Linux: The OS people choose without $200,000,000 of persuasion.