Robert Funnell wrote:
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, John W. Kennedy wrote:

... HTML doesn't even accomodate some of the most basic elements of formatting, like first line indent!

Yes it does. See, for example, <URL:http://pws.prserv.net/jwkennedy/Amelia%20%282%29.html>.

In this example, it's not the HTML doing the formatting but the CSS.

That's how it's supposed to work.

Rather than having a separate .css file, the CSS here is included directly in the .html file, which is legal but which also loses much of the power of CSS.

Not my normal practice. In this particular case it's a one-off archive document, with zero expectation of ever repeating the same CSS, which is designed to emulate (as much as the web allows) the original 18th-century typography.

... there will be no improvements to HTML, because Microsoft doesn't wish there to be any. That's why progress stopped dead seven years ago.

I'm always delighted to hear Microsoft blamed for things. I hadn't heard this one before and further evidence would be interesting (albeit off-topic). There has been recent progress on XML, CSS, RDF, etc. What progress on HTML is needed or has been blocked?

After seven years, XHTML is still not supported at all. I don't know exactly why Microsoft decided to kill it, but it has quite effectively done so. The sheep have given Microsoft a veto, and they're using it.

--
John W. Kennedy
"I want everybody to be smart. As smart as they can be. A world of ignorant people is too dangerous to live in."