On 2007-05-03 13:03:21, Robert Derman wrote:
Chris Monahan wrote:

On 03/05/07, Johnny Andersson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

2007/5/2, Chris Monahan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Afraid that I think that the OP's suggestion would probably be quite a > project and as Lars Nooden has pointed out it might not exactly fit in
> with what most people would use PDF's for

SNIP)

good points, except I don't know if it would make sense as an office
suite component.
also, a gander at google shows: http://pdfedit.petricek.net/pdfedit.index_e

IMHO all that is really needed is a program to convert PDFs to ODF files. Once they are in the ODF form, OOo can then edit them.

Good point - the koffice package already has this feature. (That's what I use it for, anyway.)

Although the results are not very pretty (but that could be the result of my own lack of skill and familiarity with kword), it can open a pdf file and save it as an odt file - text, pictures and all. One major "gotcha" gotcha is that it would appear to _my_ untrained eye that the implementers of kword do not entirely agree with openoffice on the interpretation of the OASIS standard.

(Hmmm. Wasn't openoffice supposed to be the 'reference implementation' here - or did I just imagine that?)

The other problem, of course, is that everything - headers, footers, footnotes, tables, etc. all turn into "text" and the layout can change a bit (or sometimes a LOT). As a result, references, numbered lists, footnotes, etc., all lose their referents. So if you want to restore them in a complex document, it the task can lie somewhere between tricky and virtually impossible.

TTFN,
- Bill
--
william w. austin                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"life is just another phase i'm going through. this time, anyway ..."