On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 19:15:22 +0000
Russell Boyce wrote:

> I find open office a truly fantastic package especially when asked to
> recommend packages for 'slower' systems.
>
> One thing I would like to see is the development of a dtp package to
> fit in with the rest of openoffice. As someone who uses Microsoft
> Office it is one thing I am conscious  of that openoffice does not
> appear to have a comparable product as such,

You'll be pleased to learn that DTP is well covered by OpenSource. Try
Scribus as an example.

Please do not consider Microsoft Publisher a _real_ DTP program. It is a
word processor with glorified frame support and a large array of
templates, but a proprietary save format that locks you into using
Publisher ad infinitum.

> this would equally apply in terms of web design although I am aware of
being able to create pages in writer when compared to the likes of
'Frontpage' it becomes somewhat frustrating creating an entire site this
way especially if under pressure to create to a deadline as we
frequently are!

There are many programs designed to create web pages. Frontpage is
considered one of the worst in the trade. It makes pages designed for
use in one browser only, that are not valid. Put any Frontpage site
through the w3c validation check and you will see:
http://validator.w3.org/

If you want a website quickly, look into a CMS, like Joomla, Mambo or
Drupal. The initial learning curve may be steep but throughput is great
once up to speed.

--
Michael

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall
be well

 - Julian of Norwich 1342 - 1416