----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Kasak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <discuss@openoffice.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2008 1:04 PM
Subject: Re: [discuss] we need an "outlook" component to the suite

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 10:52 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008, Daniel Kasak wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 21:45 -0400, RJKoning wrote:
>
>> We need an "outlook" type component to complete the suite. Is one >> available?
>> Are we building one?
>
> I'm using one to reply to you. It's called 'evolution'

But, Evolution is not an integrated part of Open Office,

Sure it is. What part of it isn't integrated?

 and, from what
I understand, Evolution is only about as good as Outlook.

I haven't used Outlook, but I will suggest to you that evolution is
already better.

As I have said elsewhere, Star Office 5.2 had the integreated
functionality that people seem to be seeking.

Oh Christ no! Let's not talk about that abomination, OK?

Maybe, the Open Office developers could investigate and consider
re-instituting the functionality and components that were in Star Office
5.2, that were eliminated when it was changed to Open Office.

I don't see the problem with Evolution. You asked for an email client. I
suggested one. If by 'integrated', you mean that you want a button
somewhere in OOo to create a new email, then write a StarBasic script to
open evolution, and attach it to a button.

If it is really that easy, ie: "write a StarBasic script to open evolution, and attach it to a button"

Then why is this not being done as a default setting, surely a simple link such as a click of a button that opens an email client would make the hordes who want an integrated email client happy :-)

Also if it is that easy, and evolution can be included as a part of OOo, then work to improve/expand it would also take place moving more towards a fully functioning office suite to eliminate the competition!

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer