----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Kasak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <discuss@openoffice.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2008 2:12 PM
Subject: Re: [discuss] we need an "outlook" component to the suite

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 14:11 +1000, Peter Hyde wrote:

> I don't see the problem with Evolution. You asked for an email client. > I
> suggested one. If by 'integrated', you mean that you want a button
> somewhere in OOo to create a new email, then write a StarBasic script > to
> open evolution, and attach it to a button.

If it is really that easy, ie: "write a StarBasic script to open evolution,
and attach it to a button"

Then why is this not being done as a default setting,

Because I don't want it, and you haven't done it.

I guess sadly that is the reason why so many, lets say average computer users stick to the more expensive programs, they have problems doing what a few find easy and so give up entirely.

If we want the program to continue to have a rapidly growing user base, we need to suite most of the majority of potential users, as well as no doubt satisfy the majority of the existing users.

 surely a simple link
such as a click of a button that opens an email client would make the hordes
who want an integrated email client happy :-)

See above response.

Also if it is that easy, and evolution can be included as a part of OOo,
then work to improve/expand it would also take place moving more towards a
fully functioning office suite to eliminate the competition!

Sure. So do it.

The thing is that most people who develop open-source software can deal
with the concept of using the right tool for the right job, and also
have no problems launching applications.

Let me give an example. I just sent an email to a friend with an
attachment that I produced in OpenOffice. I exported it to PDF, then
switched to Evolution, and attached the PDF I just created.

This my friend is why so many unskilled users give up on OpenOffice. You find it easy they don't.

Now, some people will complain that I had to switch out of OpenOffice
and into Evolution to create my email. I pity those people - honestly I
do ...

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer