On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 05:50 +0200, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

> He he he... I like you, I really do, I feel exactly the same in most cases,
> like "why integrating an email/calendar application when there are already a
> few good ones out there".

Well thanks :)

> BUT... I also think that we (OpenOffice.org users, developers, "helpers"
> etc.) are kind of "good guys" and that we all want as many users as
> possible, so even when it comes to questions like this one about including
> stuff that is not already there, we need to find at least SOME kind of
> solution. Maybe a guide that starts automatically the first time
> OpenOffice.org is started after just being installed that let us select
> whether or not we want this and that.

OK. I think we're approaching the point here. But a couple of
comments ...

Dumbing-down applications isn't doing anyone any favours - even those
asking for it. Lets say for a moment that we put a 'create new email'
button in OOo that launchers whatever email client for the user. This
will have a couple of knock-on effects ... Users will learn that to
start a new email, they open Open Office, and click the 'create new
email' button.

What happens when they go to a computer that doesn't have OOo? Or if
they go to a computer with OOo but without the button, because the
person who installed OOo chose not to have the button visible?

What does the user now think about how they start applications? If I ask
them to start some other program, will their open OpenOffice and look
for a button to start it?

Another example. How many times have you been sent an email with no text
content, but a .doc or .ppt attachment, with *nothing* but images? This
is a direct result of Microsoft putting an 'email document' ( or
whatever ) button in Office ... people *never* learn how to use their
computer properly - they have no idea of the boundaries between
applications, and no idea of what the hell they're doing. Take away
their MS Office, and they can't attach things to emails - from the sound
of it there any many who can't even OPEN their email. This dumbing down
of software & user is what's behind the 'WWWWAAAAaaaaaaaahhhhhh ...
where's my integrated mail client?' posts. This is NOT in the interests
of ANY open-source project ( or commercial for that matter ) that
competes with Microsoft.

Now ... what do we do about this sorry situation? While I agree with
your motivation to help users, I don't think pandering to their wishes
in this particular way is constructive. What *would* be good, is if
people actually learnt how to perform simple tasks ... like attach
something to an email. Perhaps some HOWTOs on common tasks, with
screenshots, and maybe videos, would be appropriate?

But here comes the bad news. Those who would most benefit from viewing
and learning this would in all probability screw up their noses and
demand once more "INTEGRATION, God damn it, or I'll go back to
Microsoft!".

For my part, I'm teaching those around me. I have about half our office
on Linux & OpenOffice, and also a couple of friends have converted,
including one guy who installed Linux on his brand new Mac ( the ones
with the HUGE screens ).

I've found that people learn very fast when they want to, and not at all
when they don't.

Lastly, here's something REALLY funny. I just opened OpenOffice and
looked at the toolbars, wondering where you'd put such a button, and
guess what? It's already there - sitting right next to the 'save'
button. I even tried it out, without configuring anything. I typed some
text into a document, hit the email button, and OOo saved the document
and handed it to Evolution. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. So,
going back to the original poster ( if he's still paying attention ),
exactly *what* further integration is required?

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer