Hi Ian,

On Sat, 2008-07-05 at 11:29 +0100, Ian Lynch wrote:
> > > For the people wanting an eMail client with OpenOffice.org, what
> > > about bundling Evolution with the office suite?
> > > http://www.dipconsultants.com/evolution/

        It is a good idea; IMHO. There are however several problems:

        a) Sun has a history of not choosing evolution: initially in
           ~2002 (?) we saw them propose writing an entirely new Java
           based PIM, [ with the magic productivity gains from Java this
           would only take minutes to write & debug apparently ;-]
                + that was 'glow' and it died a slow and funny death.
                + more recently Sun is investing in Lightning /
                  Thunderbird - as I understand a mountain of
                  java-script: I imagine with the intrinsic benefits
                  of type-un-safety ...

        b) perhaps more tellingly - Sun has vociferously rejected
           bundling anything it does not own (as in copyright assigned
           to it) with 'Open'Office.org; cf. the (ridiculous) external
           contribution guidelines for 'unbundled' extensions at
           http://external.openoffice.org/
                + so the concept of bundling evolution, or even
                  thunderbird (which no-one owns) is just not going
                  to happen.
                        + or is it ? perhaps there will be some
                          change and -real- openness here: we can
                          only hope.

        Having said all that; Evolution is working rather nicely on Windows
these days, and of course is great on Linux / Solaris; poke Tor if you
want to help out test some builds.

        Otherwise, I think your comments are spot on.

        HTH,

                Michael.

--
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot