Hi Cor,

Cor Nouws schrieb:
Hi Bernard, *,

Bernhard Dippold wrote (13-04-10 23:25)

I changed the subject, because I want to follow your proposal to position my concerns officially at the Community Council, while
keeping in this thread in order to inform the community about this
specific request.

*Please don't support the application independency of the ODF
document icons!*
[...]

In short, you ask this because (in your and other peoples opinion) OpenOffice.org related icons are important for OpenOffice.org product, marketing etc. and there has been no serious/good discussion, considering the question: Why should OpenOffice.org give away it's presence on the user's desktop.

I hope you don't mind if I say that this request is different from my post that hooks on the effort in the community council, which is about the process, about how we work.
I don't mind at all - re-thinking my goals, I might have posted my mail as direct reply to Rosana's mail on disc...@ux or brand...@marketing.

You just asked for examples to help you in your process for improved communication - and this is an example is no of a communication problem. But as it ended in a final decision (by whom?) even for the future, I want the CC to discuss it.

You're right that this goes beyond your request and I apology for hijacking this thread - I should have started a new one.
Looks as if you ask the council to reconsider the decision (...) to not change further on the product-independent odf icons. Honestly, I don't see much ground for that.
You mentioned your position some time ago - but as Community Contributor Representative I think you are my representative in the CC, and one of the CC's tasks is to "Arbitrate community members' appeals of decisions by the Project Leads and other community authorities".

This decision has not been made in the community - none of the relevant projects nor the CC have been involved as far as I know.

I showed that it is possible to create icons that cover both aspects: promoting ODF and OOo at the same time.

A reaction like "OOo symbols at the document icons of our product OpenOffice.org will no longer be allowed" is a political decision that has to be defined either by the relevant projects or by the Community Council - not by the ESC or one contributor (even if it is the main code contributor) without involving the central community structures.
Possibly I think it might happen that during our effort to learn and improve, we are so flabbergasted by what we find out about what happened in this process, that we consider other possibilities. But ATM that looks rather theoretical to me.
For me it has very practical effects: If I (or other community members) finish the work on the "compromise icons" - will they have a chance to be implemented? In my opinion they serve OOo better than the present ones.

And if a re-worked iconset would lead to an improved acceptance by some native-lang communities, it would serve our community as a whole...

Did I interpret your mail correct, is it clear what I try to explain?
I think I can affirm both questions.

Sorry again that I didn't start a new thread - if there are still open questions and remarks to be posted, I'd propose to start it and leave this one to your request for other examples of negative and positive co-operation and actions.

Best regards

Bernhard