Hi Effie,

I'm not quite sure whether there's a difference for you between "types of
fixes" and "types of defects = bugs". The distinction doesn't seem to be
obvious.

Bjorn's list on "types of defects" contains some classics but misses the work
of Basili, e.g.
* Victor R. Basili, Barry T. Perricone: Software errors and complexity: an
empirical investigation, Communications of the ACM, Volume 27, Issue 1 (January
1984), Pages: 42 - 52.
* Michael Fredericks, Victor Basili. Using Defect Tracking and Analysis to
Improve Software Quality, DACS State-of-the-Art Report SP0700-98-4000, Data &
Analysis Center for Software, 14 November 1998
(http://www.dacs.dtic.mil/techs/defect/)
This may only be interesting to computer scientists, though.

Beizer's extensive taxonomy can be found online here:
http://inet.uni2.dk/~vinter/bugtaxst.doc

Interesting (and including a comparative section on defect taxonomies) but
maybe out of focus are more general papers on using and designing defect
classifications:
* Brian Marick. A survey of software fault surveys. Technical Report
UIUCDCS-R-90-1651, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, December 1990.
* Bernd Freimut. Developing and Using Defect Classification Schemes. Report
Fraunhofer IESE-072.01/E, Sep. 1, 2001.
(http://docserver.fhg.de/iese/2001/reports/072.pdf)

I'd like to add that in many cases a taxonomy of programmer (i.e. human) errors
are much more interesting from a research point of view compared to studying
the results, i.e. the "bugs".

I don't know of any discussion about how general programming errors relate to
user interface design errors. I guess there are only few because interface
defects are mainly due to wrong guessing and missing knowledge at the UI design
level. Usability issues aren't often registered as software defects, since in
most cases the software still seem to work - from a pure functional point of
view. Of course, that's an ignorant point of view.

Sebastian

--
Software Engineering Working Group
Institut für Informatik