Hi,

First - hello to the list.

Second, my particular interest at the moment is around how coders debug.
I've been struck by the lack of standard debugging skills taught
compared to the diagnosis skills taught to medics, mechanics and other
professions where diagnosis, prescription, and resolution are more or
less rote.

My angle on this, as it were, is largely day-to-day - debugging in a
day-to-day coding environment. I mention this because I've discovered
papers dating back decades stating what coders (programmers) should
know, and if only they did! So, the theory is there, but the practice
isn't dripping through.

The reason I ask PPIG about this is that I think the Psychology - or the
simple emotional effect - of being forced to solve a problem in 10
seconds affects the decisions many coders make. Having a mental
framework which gets delegated most of the information gathering (what
information is there, what causes might there be... etc) relieves coders
of 90% of the decisions made during debugging.

Any interesting research in this area? Any standard diagnosis processes
(like differential diagnosis etc)? ...

Cheers,
dan