> I've been struck by the lack of standard debugging skills taught
> compared to the diagnosis skills taught to medics, mechanics and other

Well, they all get taught how to do print statements. (and that's mostly how I
debug, and yes, I've tried all the other ways)

Actually a lot of what doctors etc. do amounts to print statements : X-Rays are
just core-dump snapshots, barium meals are a sort of print statement.
Stethoscope work is listening to the sounds coming back : print statements. Of
course most doctor type-debugging is black box stuff - at least with code you
can get in there and fiddle around.....(endoscopy and investigative surgery are
ways round the black box of course)

L.