Walter,

This implies that strategic thinking does not involve cognition, which
seems bizarre.

Perhaps I should have said "this is where all the INTERESTING cognitive
stuff happens".

Then the only logical conclusion that follows from my statements is that
longer term issues were not interesting (but then I guess there are some
who might disagree with that).

Could you expand upon what you mean by 'cognitive stuff'?

I was thinking of the bands of human mental processing outlined in
Allen Newell's "Unified Theories of Cognition".  He puts human processes
in the 100-10,000 in the rational band.

For a more up to date version see:
Anderson, J. R. (2002). Spanning seven orders of magnitude:
A challenge for cognitive modeling. Cognitive Science, 26, 85-112
available at: http://act-r.psy.cmu.edu/people/ja/ja-vita.php#pubs

There are also a number of papers on debugging available from this
site.

--
Derek M. Jones                              tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
Knowledge Software Ltd                      mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]