allen,

what you are referring to is commonly called (wholistic) top-down estimation
and (partitioned) bottom-up estimation.

this paper bei jorgensen should give some references:
http://www.simula.no/departments/engineering/.artifacts/jorgensen_shepperd_b
estreview_tse.pdf

a common practice in the environments i am currently working is that
in the bidding process a rough top-down estimate is made by some
senior people mostly by comparison with accomplished projects. in many cases
the difference between the estimate and the bidding price (estimate +
margin)
is not thoroughly addressed.
during the execution of the projects bottom-up estimates are made in order
determine the schedule.
at this stage partitioning is more or less natural as tasks of reasonable
size
have to be assigned. in this regard  "partitioning" does not generate any
overhead but greatly improves chances of reasonable estimates and
avoidance of unidentified tasks - and consequently a reliable project
schedule.

best regards,

gerold