Jens,

Michal Caspersen and I have replicated the study with the result "no correlation" -
see
http://db.grinnell.edu/sigcse/iticse2007/Program/viewAcceptedProposal.asp?sessionType=paper&sessionNumber=51

Well done for taking the time to try to replicate somebody else's
results.

What struck me as being significantly different between the two
sets of results was the number of failures.  The replication had
a much smaller number of students failing the final exam.  I would
not expect 4 failures out of a total population of 124 (consistent)
to have a strong correlation with any factor and 2 out of 18 for
inconsistent is not much better.

This is a 4% failure rate vs. Dehnadi & Bonat (guys, please label
the axis of your figures) rate of 52%.

Perhaps you manage to attract students with the appropriate skills
to your course, or perhaps the course is very easy to pass, or perhaps
you are great teachers and can infuse the necessary skills in the most
incompetent of students.

--
Derek M. Jones                              tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
Knowledge Software Ltd                      mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]