On Sun, 2007-06-24 at 02:26 -0400, Peter Gutmann wrote:

> Going off on a bit of a tangent, what about considering the evidence
> in "The
> Camel has Two Humps"
> (http://www.cs.mdx.ac.uk/research/PhDArea/saeed/paper1.pdf) which
> argues that
> programming ability shows a strong bimodal distribution and that some
> people
> will never learn to program/be good programmers no matter what
> teaching
> methods you use, while others will, no matter what teaching methods
> you use.
> Maybe it's not a case of "you need to understand X" but "you need to
> be born
> with the geek gene".

I'm responding to this message earlier in the thread, but in the context
of Richard and Lindsay's later notes.  The point that I was trying to
make in response to the above is that we cannot claim "some people will
never learn to program/be good programmers no what teaching methods you
use."  As Richard points out, the Camel paper test explains 23% of the
variance -- that leaves 77% of the variance unexplained.  Lindsay's
reflections on motivation in programming vs. motivation in music, as
well as Richard's observation on motivation, serve to support my claim:
We know relatively little about what leads to success in programming.

I whole-heartedly believe the Camel-paper claim that mental models are a
significant factor, and I also believe that motivation is another
significant factor.  Whether motivation for professional programmers is
different than that of end-user programmers is an open and interesting
question, as Alessio has mentioned.  Richard's story about the MS
students and how motivation wasn't the critical factor in that
experience is a fascinating story.  The bottomline, though, is that we
don't have a good explanation for who succeeded and who didn't in that
story.

I suggest that the jury is still out on whether some people can't learn
to program.  There is still a large unexplored space in explaining how
and why people learn to program.

Mark